Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"I personally believe that U.S Americans..."

I was watching the whole MTV college life show yesterday during my study break. It pains me a little, knowing that this university is supposedly better than my university, yet the people are so stupid. I often wonder, if I had gone to a private institution or even Ivy League, would I still feel like this? Probably.

Although I can be lazy and although others may get better grades than I do, I have this complex where I am not limited to think, but in fact I know I am smarter than 90% of my peers. This may or may not be true, but unfortunately I do have this complex.

There is supposedly this "studious" girl on the show. I don't quite remember her name; I've only seen the show once. It really annoys me when people think it's terrible that their parents want them to work hard in school; apparently, this girl only got good grades because she was pressured by her parents.

Of course, this girl is young. She just started college. But, isn't it common sense that getting a good education is pertinent to a comfortable lifestyle? She started crying about how she was sick but had so much studying to do. Old news, girlfriend. That's what happens in the real world. That's what it takes to make it in this world. But...suddenly I remembered something.

It lead me to think about all the stupid, famous people you see on TV. Most of them barely graduated high school at all. Our Green Day coined "American Idiot" society has allowed us to get rich and famous by virtually just being moronic. We have talentless weirdos in "Love with..." shows or people who get famous from highly synthesized songs riddled with heavy bass and auto-tuned vocals. Octomom's a really dumb b-word, but she's become famous as a result of it.

Who knows who Paul Krugman is? Who knows who the last Nobel Laureates of Physics were? Very few. In our day and age, intelligence seems to matter very little. In fact, the more so you lack the intelligence, the more rich and famous you seem to be.

It's okay, Yoichiro Nambu. There there.

But furthermore, many of my peers don't know anything outside of their concentration. Not to be pretentious, but it'd be nice to care a little about the future and well-being of humanity. People don't seem to know what's really going on in Iraq, or what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict entails. Granted, it may not seem important, but in the long run, we are part of the international community. Whatever happens in it, affects everyone. It may seem like at the time, making a spreadsheet of credits and debits is more important, but no. Any wrong move made by anyone in the international community could cause another World War and ultimately end everything. Apocalypse isn't as far as it seems.

On the other hand, although I'm moderately politically Conservative myself, I don't find global warming ridiculous. This is not to say that I am by any means a hippie, because I'd prefer to not have my hair spewing from under my sleeves, but it's ridiculous how people think global warming is a ploy made up by crazy liberals. This is a very good example of people not having enough knowledge outside of their concentration. You can analyze the rate of the temperature increasing and look at all this data from previous researches. It's not a lie; just because all you know happens to be about Political science, does not mean that you know about the world.

Of course, no one can know everything, but I cherish those who have mundane views. I pride myself in my choice of variety, and hold others to a similar standard. By 2010, I may not be a Harvard graduate, but I'll probably know more than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment