Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Elva's Plastic Surgery

Elva Hsiao or 蕭亞軒 has been definitely gone under the knife..or laser...whatever they use now to create that extra epicanthic fold for Asian celebrities. For those who are new to the term, I will demonstrate.

Simply put, one has an eye "fold," while the other does not. This is a popular surgery in Asia, especially among celebrities. My childhood Korean piano teacher had told me before that 8 in 10 women in Korea have this surgery done.

To me, I can't really say much. Everyone in my family has this seemingly coveted fold, and so I never really knew what it was like to not. I guess I could compare to breast implants, although...I'd have to say it is much easier to get the eye surgery done.

Anyhow, I recently noticed that Elva has had this procedure. I first heard of her about 8 years ago give or take. Then, she was a cute girl; to my surprise, she did not have this surgery. Her eyes were small, but she was listed by many local NJ Chinese newspapers as pretty.


One of Elva's original albums.

A cute girl, nice voice... I didn't really see it coming. I suppose after Jolin had her face, eyes, nose, and breasts done, Elva wanted to follow suit. After her new album came out, I was shocked at the reconstruction of her face. Did she get a nose job too?

Is the new trend in Asia Caucasian wannabe? I can see and feel the pressure, but what does that degrade them to? Although I absolutely love Ayumi Hamasaki, sometimes I look at her and feel that she doesn't even look Japanese anymore. It's a raceless, unnatural sort of doll-like feature. I was shocked to see the differences in people's faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment