Saturday, March 28, 2009

Salt Fishy Friends

Recent events in my personal life have allowed me to...well rethink philosophy and my whole definition of being selfish. In particular, why do friends treat each other the way they do; and is does there exist such a term "real friendship?" I remember analyzing Hobbes and Aristotle among others in an Intro Political Theory class a couple years back.
For reference, telos, is the "purpose" or ultimate "end" in a person's life.

So this leads me to question: Do people exist solely to meet their telos? Are all the actions based on achieving their ultimate goal in life? Is there no such thing as selflessness?

Well, everyone is selfish; it doesn't matter what they say. There are just different extents. Sometimes, though, that selfishness crosses over the border between that and inconsideration, and then you're just a shitty person. Because, well, you're selfish when you don't want to share your sandwich with a strange hobo. You're inconsiderate when you don't want to share your sandwich with your starving friend who got his wallet stolen.

The point is, it's okay to be selfish sometimes. I don't care. I'm selfish, you're selfish...hooray we're all selfish. That's fine and dandy, but there's a line you don't cross. On the other hand, once you take a hike up a mountain of disregard and you're way too high up and absolutely beyond the point of being selfish, then there's somewhat a problem.

There's especially a problem when it is happening to me. Internal chaos ensues, and I find myself fuming inside. Common sense tells me it's not healthy to let your fury bottle up inside, but the consequences of doing otherwise in the girl world allows me to choose the lesser of two evils. As a hormonal female myself, I can prove this case with hypothetical scenarios silently playing in my mind.

As in, Mean Girls, "I knew how this would be settled in the animal world....But this was girl world. All the fighting had to be sneaky."

Chapter 2: Envy, right? Hah! I need sleep..

No comments:

Post a Comment